[Milton-L] Milton and Newton (Again?)

Nancy Charlton nbcharlton at comcast.net
Thu Sep 24 12:18:23 EDT 2009

My apologies; I sent that last message too hastily (Hardly because an
apple fell on my head!) . I should have said that the BLB contains, not
a list of references, but Newton's entire book,  /Observations Upon the
Prophecies of Daniel and the Apocalypse of St. John /with links to each
chapter. Hardly a facsimile edition, but Newton's content is there.
Haven't read much of it, but enough to conclude that Newton was a trivia
buff more interested in details such a how the disciples rubbed ears of
corn, and dismisses the miracles in  a word. He was obviously a careful
scientist who saw the primacy of fact but perhaps stopped short of
investigating what couldn't be explained so definitely.  Is it fair to
say that alchemy, having a physical basis owever incorrect, offered him
a more comfortable reliance than faith?

Milton, so far I know, never dabbled in black arts, and saw no great
conflict between science (in the older sense) and religious truth.

Nancy Charlton