[Milton-L] Gardens revisited

Nancy Charlton nbcharlton at comcast.net
Fri Sep 18 18:11:27 EDT 2009

Halloo everyone,

After nearly four months without a working computer I am happily
restored to the Comcast fold. This week I have been catching up on
Milton-L and am up to mid-June(working backward from September).

As a very belated addition to the June thread on gardens, I'd like to
recommend John Tatter's web site:

http://faculty.bsc.edu/jtatter/stowe.html

This came to me originally from Wordsmith, when a word of the day ws
"ha-ha."  Tatter some years ago work on repairing the ha-ha at Stowe in
Buckinghamshire, and his pictures and essay on Augustan aesthetics could
shed some light. Michael Gillum mentioned Pope's grotto as an example of
a literal "paradise," i.e. walled garden, and I find it a faxcinating
paradox that where the ideal was an unbroken view, uncluttered by
livestock and as vast as the fortunes of any who maintained it, the
garden was actually "walled" by a very pretty ditch that could be very
dangerous.

Nancy Charlton
--Whose garden this year, alas, consisted only of two pots of basil!