[Milton-L] Re: Eve seeking temptation

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 10 00:22:05 EDT 2009

Working from memory, I think that my formulation "Satan brings Eve to the point of wondering if God is the true God" was a more concise restatement of an earlier statement in a prior post: "Is the God who placed the tree of knowledge in the garden the true God?"

Or something like that.

Anyway, in terms of the way that you've gone on to express the issue of God's having withheld the knowledge of good and evil, I'd reply that what Milton's God withheld was not the intellectual knowledge of evil as distinct from good but the experiential knowledge of having committed evil and being no longer good.

Or so I argue in a paper published a couple of years ago.

Jeffery Hodges