[Milton-L] Re: Eve seeking temptation

Michael Gillum mgillum at unca.edu
Tue Sep 8 18:27:38 EDT 2009

Carol wonders whether Milton could justify God's right to test A&E. Adam,
speaking to Raphael, judges that the "command / Single, is yet so just"
(5.551-52). In conveying the command to Eve, he places it in the context of
their creation and other blessings, in return for which God asks "no other
service than to keep / This one, this easy charge. . ." (4. 412-21).
Following the command is a sign of their gratitude, obedience, and
faithfulness. The test seems perfectly reasonable to Adam.
I don't think Milton develops an argument along the lines of "because God is
God." Rather, he thinks God should be obeyed because God is good and right.
Satan turns Eve by leading her to question God's goodness. She had good
reason to know better.

Michael