[Milton-L] Re: Eve seeking temptation

Carol Barton cbartonphd1 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 8 17:04:28 EDT 2009

True, Marlene--but in the fallen world, parents know better than to engage in such tests (too many kids would fail them).

I do think the benevolent parent/obedient child analogy is apt, and though in modern times we find such trials cruel and unusual, going back to Patient Griselde, literature is replete with them. Milton doesn't try to justify God's *right* to test Adam and Eve (and other than to say "he's God!" I doubt that he could do so if he wanted to). How, for example, do you explain why a benevolent father would ask Abraham to sacrifice Isaac, or ask Job to endure torment on a bet with the Devil, or ask Jesus to die by crucifixion, no matter what the ultimate reward of a "passing grade" might be? It's simply a given that God does such things--whether we (like Samson) deserve it, or don't. Eve knows nothing of such things, of course, but she and Adam have been forewarned that the price of disobedience is a high one.

I'm not sure we can say that God contrived the serpentine temptation, though. Still--to a fallen mind, A&E have to have a reason to *want it*, or their resistance to it proves nothing ("I'm giving up broccoli for Lent").

All best,

Carol Barton