[Milton-L] Re: Eve seeking temptation

Marlene Edelstein malkaruth2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 15:40:04 EDT 2009

Carol Barton wrote:

Simply put, Eve's right use of her right reason would run something like this:

God is good. He loves me, and has my best interests at heart. He shows me every minute of every day how much he values my happiness.
God said not to do this.
Anyone who tells me I ought to do it is wrong--or evil.
Therefore, I should not do it.

If you put it in the context of your teenager and drugs, no matter how many other kids tell him how great it is to get high on angel dust, and how his parents are stupid dorks who don't know a good thing when they see it, and how no one but they two will know that he's tried it, and he won't tell on him, and so on, you want your son to trust in your love and respect your wisdom enough to walk away.. It doesn't make you a tyrant to forbid him to harm himself--it just makes you a good parent. And that's all God's doing with Adam and Eve.

But is this a true analogy? God's ways can hardly be justified by drawing parallels to human motives. he drugs which parents try to warn their son against are out their in the world anyway: the parents didn't place them in his sight, as God places the fruit in the sight of A&E. Parents of teenagers would usually prefer the temptation not to exist, but God presumably contrived it, dangled it from the tree and then issued the injunction not to eat it.

Marlene

believe everything, believe nothing