[Milton-L] Eve's curls (reply to Jim Rovira)

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 7 18:20:19 EDT 2009

Gawain has come up repeatedly in this discussion, and Carol remarks:

". . . Gawain, who is impervious to every temptation save the one that touches the heart of his terror -- that the Green Knight will exact his just reward, and thus furtively accepts the kirtle, and conceals the gift from his host--duplicity in which he would not otherwise engage."

I disagree on this interpretation of Gawain's sin. I think that he has already fallen for the Green Knight's wife and commited an adultery of the heart, and that the green and gold belt signifies this.

I'll spare Milton Listers the argument, but if anyone wants a copy of my paper (which was published last year), then contact me, and I'll send either an electronic version or an offprint (if I still have any).

Jeffery Hodges