[Milton-L] Re: Eve seeking temptation

Schwartz, Louis lschwart at richmond.edu
Mon Sep 7 15:37:16 EDT 2009

Carol, thanks for that observation!  I should have noted myself that the Father, in his praise of Abdiel, calls the reproach of the rebel angels "far worse to bear/ Then violence" (6.34-5).  So Adam is correct about the negative force of the "aspersion."  But this is all part of the nature of this sort of trial, no?  The insult is-or should be-merely a spur to proving the insult wrong by resisting the offered temptation (that's Eve's response, I think).  On the other hand, maybe the really interesting thing here is that it might be tempting to believe such an insult, thereby giving oneself the exact excuse that Milton's poem wants to argue out of human hands.  Ultimately the insult itself can do no more harm (or less harm) than any other aspect of a trial.  And if such pains and dangers exist in the Eden of Paradise Lost (and they do), they must have their positive valences.

Louis

Louis Schwartz
Associate Professor of English
University of Richmond