[Milton-L] Is Eve seeking temptation?

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 7 14:29:12 EDT 2009

Is the experience of having sinned essential to a knowledge of what sin is? Milton doesn't think so, and he presents Adam and Eve as having an intellectual knowledge of evil. Their experience of evil in themselves actually impairs their understanding of what sin is, as Milton would have it. The prelapsarian couple speak of evil, using words like "temptation," so they must in some way know what temptation means -- or, at least, Milton thinks so -- unless they are merely mouthing words.

Precisely what Milton understood by an intellectual knowledge of evil in individuals who had never experienced evil in themselves, however, is an interesting question.

Jeffery Hodges