[Milton-L] Re: Eve seeking temptation

Schwartz, Louis lschwart at richmond.edu
Mon Sep 7 13:45:57 EDT 2009

I think he's unnerved by the way Eve took his first speech, and he's trying to come up with a less insulting way of framing his initial argument.  This is one of the things that comes his mind, and it's maybe the weakest.  He makes some good points in the speech, and they require Eve to respond complexly (the stuff about other's aid and witnessing, for example), but this one, I think, she dismantles pretty handily.  It's just a silly argument, and I don't think it can be supported by anything in the poem.  Does God require that Abdiel cleanse himself of taint when he returns triumphantly from HIS trial?

Louis

Louis Schwartz
Associate Professor of English
University of Richmond