[Milton-L] Eve's curls (reply to William Moeck)

Schwartz, Louis lschwart at richmond.edu
Mon Sep 7 12:08:04 EDT 2009

A couple of things in response to Jim's questions and comments:

1)  I don't see why a willingness or a zealous desire to be tested has to be sinful.  She's not seeking the object of the temptation--she's not interested in hanging around the fruit and sniffing it, for example, to see if it will make her want to bite.  She's willing to expose herself alone to the possibility that Satan will try her.  This is because the desire to work alone is good and because there is no way in the terms of the poem that trial can be either bad or avoided.

2)  I think that you're right that the passages you quote do not clearly indicate that at the end she's going because she is actively seeking her trial.  But in the course of the dialogue she gives more than one reason for why she wants to go, why it's good to do so and to want to do so.  The reasons she gives in response to Adam at the very end are not her best reasons in terms of the poem's larger discourse about trial (her reasoning is not "perfect" or entirely consistent; it's maturing, not matured).  The first part of the speech that ends with her ideas about "exterior help" articulate some important things about the positive value of trial.  It is this argument and the one about "help," things that I suggested earlier she has been hurt into figuring out, that win her Adam's permission by trumping his objections, none of which can bind because they make less sense or only temporary sense.  It's for this reason that I'm not so ready to dismiss the idea that they continue to have a positive, motivating force for her as she takes her leave.

I think all of that was a trail in itself.  She didn't expect Adam to respond the way he did, and she had to deal with it, drawing on what she'd come to understand from Adam, Raphael, and her own experiences so far about the nature of the edenic situation.  I think she passes this one.  That she fails the next one is not an indication she got something wrong earlier, only that in the face of Satan's deception she gets something drastically wrong later.  It would have been good for her at that later point to have remembered some of Adam's advice, especially the stuff about the "fair appearing good."  Also, no doubt the scene would have gone differently had she gone and gotten Adam to come talk with the serpent with her (remembering the business about minding).  Still, how do we know it would have ended happily, even then?  Adam's reason is hardly perfect yet either (he certainly fails later to reason through his own moment of trial).  And as I said a few days ago, what about the next time?

Louis

Louis Schwartz

Associate Professor of English

University of Richmond