[Milton-L] Is Eve seeking temptation?

srevard at siue.edu srevard at siue.edu
Mon Sep 7 09:21:25 EDT 2009

I do not deny that the question of temptation comes into the
argument, but I still think it is a mistake to say that Eve
is seeking temptation when she separates from Adam. What she
is countering after Adam brings up the question of temptation
is the question whether she, should a tempter appear, would
be strong enough to resist him.  She says she would be, and
further argues that both must be sufficient, whether together
or alone, to resist temptation, should it come.
That to me is not to seek temptation--even that is what Adam
accuses her of doing.
Indeed, when she goes off to prop up those rose, the whole
notion of temptation or a tempter goes right out of her head.
She should not have forgotten Adam's warnings, but she does.
If she were seeking temptation, she should have been more
alert when the serpent starts to spin his arguments.
She has the opportunity to resist temptation, as she says
she would do, and she blows it.

Stella Revard