[Milton-L] Eve's curls (reply to William Moeck)

Schwartz, Louis lschwart at richmond.edu
Sun Sep 6 22:51:37 EDT 2009

I think that Harold may be conflating two different arguments here.  One concerns whether or not Eve can be said to be "seeking" temptation or trial at the end of the dialogue with Adam.  The other concerns what it means if she can be said to have that motive.  I say this because I believe that it is possible to accept the first without jumping to the conclusion (as Bell did in the essay Caroll Cox has recently mentioned) that this motive is "fallen."  The presence of such a motive--or at least a version of it--need not be, in other words, a violation of the poem's theological logic (its presentation of the free will defense).

I'll have more to say about this once I've sorted out some of the details (and this will include the possibility that the sttatement "Eve is seeking trail at the end of the dialogue" might need some modification in light of what Harold says about the difference between "refusing to cower from temptation and actively seeking temptation out"--although I do not think the statement will have to be withdrawn).

In any case, I wanted to say at least that much now.  I think that the distinctions I mention in the first paragraph(above) are important ones for us to keep in mind or this conversation is likely to collapse into a lot of cross talk.  And I say that because I'm looking forward to seeing where the real agreements and disagreements will stand in the end.

Louis