[Milton-L] Eve's curls (reply to William Moeck)

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 6 15:39:02 EDT 2009

If I might interject a question . . . is Eve seeking to be "tempted" or to be "tested"? There is in the discourse between Adam and Eve much discussion of trials and temptations, and when Eve departs, she says:

With thy permission then, and thus forewarnd
Chiefly by what thy own last reasoning words
Touchd onely, that our trial, when least sought,
May finde us both perhaps farr less prepar'd,
The willinger I goe [9.378-82]

[Luxon, Thomas H., ed. The Milton Reading Room, http://www.dartmouth.edu/~milton, September, 2008]

Much of the debate on this thread has centered on Eve seeking or not seeking temptation, but the term "trial" seems to indicate "testing" rather than "temptation."

Jeffery Hodges