[Milton-L] Areopagitica audio reading on iTunes

David Ainsworth dainsworth at bama.ua.edu
Fri Sep 4 15:21:10 EDT 2009

Thanks for the warning, Jason.

The works themselves are in the public domain and readily available.
Copyright will most limit the recording of Milton's Latin prose:  I
doubt many students will benefit from hearing the text in Latin, and any
translation will have rights issues unless it has passed out of
copyright.  (De Doctrina Christiana, for instance, would need to be read
in the Sumner translation unless I can win approval for a different
edition.  I could offer any press 100% of the proceeds, which will be zero.)

I can't see much likelihood that any of us will want students to use the
iTunes readings as a replacement for actual text, and unlike many of the
books available in Kindle editions, there's no sign of a viable market
for audio-book versions of these texts which would lose money to a free
alternative.

I am now, however, imagining an elaborate charade to convince some
litigious press to generate their own variorum to Milton's prose simply
so that they can establish which edition was used to generate a free
reading in preparation for a lawsuit.

It might be interesting to swing a deal with the publisher of a specific
edition of Milton's prose to use their edition, in the expectation that
anyone teaching the prose and using the audio versions would find it
most convenient to assign the edition matching the audio to students.
I'll consider that once I have some numbers to offer a press about how
popular audio versions would be with students (or with anyone).

David