[Milton-L] Eve's curls (reply to William Moeck)

Campbell, W. Gardner Gardner_Campbell at baylor.edu
Fri Sep 4 12:27:46 EDT 2009

As a small postscript to Louis's post, in my essay on hierarchy, alterity, and authority I point out that the separation in Book 9 is the *second* separation, not the first. That's not to say that there are no differences-of course there are-but it is interesting that the poem doesn't inextricably link separation and danger. I won't go into the whole argument here-if anyone's interested, you can find the argument in my essay-but I will point out that Milton's handling of all the concerns in this thread is in my view remarkably complex and nuanced. The temptation for critics is to find Milton much more rigidly categorical  in the poem than the evidence warrants. For example, John Carey incautiously says that "wander" is a key verb in Paradise Lost that belongs to the lost and fallen. But that reading won't survive the providential and blessed appetitive wandering praised in 7.40-50, where I take Milton to be speaking in propria persona. For another example, Mary Nyquist says that the parting in Book 9 is the first for Adam and Eve, but the text complicates that climactic parting with a similar (and interestingly detailed) parting in Book 8 that forms a very intriguing juxtaposition with the later separation.

Gardner