[Milton-L] Eve's curls (reply to William Moeck)

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 3 19:09:45 EDT 2009

Alan, here's what I was responding to in your post:

"Where does it say any of this [i.e., that "M. does not give Adam carte blanche
to fall back on ungentle 'sway'"] in the passage? Where is the 'appropriate background evidence' to suggest that Milton or any writer of his period thought that men had no right to enforce the obedience of their female dependents 'if gentleness failed'?"

I posted some textual evidence that the prelapsarian Adam could not use force to compel the obedience of Eve, but I wasn't entirely sure that you were referring to the prelapsarian case, which is why I added that I didn't know if Milton thought force could legitimately be employed under postlapsarian conditions.

For details of my post, see:

http://lists.richmond.edu/pipermail/milton-l/2009-August/009927.html

All the best.

Jeffery Hodges