[Milton-L] Areopagitica audio reading on iTunes

David Ainsworth dainsworth at bama.ua.edu
Thu Sep 3 12:57:13 EDT 2009

I have found that students have trouble following Milton's prose.

In the belief that hearing his prose read aloud might help students with
their comprehension, I have started to record readings of his work.
They will be available as I complete them via the University of
Alabama's iTunes page.  If I can sneak a little Milton onto a student's
Shuffle, I will be content.

As I started work on this recording, Internet Archive posted a complete
reading of Areopagitica on their site.  I haven't listed to the entire
audio, but I thought I'd provide a link as some may prefer this version:
http://www.archive.org/details/areopagitica_0806_librivox

Here's a direct link to my reading of Areopagitica on iTunes:
http://deimos3.apple.com/WebObjects/Core.woa/Browse/bama.ua.edu.2427612186.02427612191.2427750349?i=1403523058

Or, if that link is too unwieldy, you can reach this recording and
future ones from this page:
http://edificeproject.ua.edu/?page_id=47

Next on my slate will be "Of Education," which may be also be of general
use.  I expect there will be fewer takers for an audio version of
Eikonoklastes, but one will be in the cards at some point in the future,
I hope, along with the rest of Milton's prose output.  (I expect some of
these projects will need to be group efforts.)

If anyone is interested in undertaking a recording, or part of one, feel
free to e-mail me at dainsworth at bama.ua.edu.

David