[Milton-L] Eve's curls (reply to William Moeck)

David Ainsworth dainsworth at bama.ua.edu
Thu Sep 3 11:24:02 EDT 2009

I thought Louis' lengthy and thoughtful post deserved a response, even
though what I have to offer borders on the obvious.  And I'll not
volunteer which side of the border...

I think the poem partly reflects tensions preexisting in the Genesis
story, as well as its Christian interpretation.  The Genesis account
could arguably be said to endorse a patriarchal structure more
resoundingly than the entirety of the New Testament, though at the same
time sections of the New Testament generate a more comprehensive
patriarchy than God's judgment on Eve offers.  What interests me,
though, is how Milton then leverages existing scriptural tensions to
generate his own reading--a reading both drawn from scripture and yet,
inevitably, representing a reworking of it.

I think Louis' suggestion about how Eve might legitimately resist Adam's
authority in Book IX, had he chosen to exert it, can be fully supported
by the text.  Lines 376-7:  "So spake the patriarch of mankind, but
Eve/Persisted, yet submiss, though last, replied:"

The context:  Adam has just delivered a convincing argument that he
wants Eve to stay with him out of love, not doubt, and that she would do
best to obey as proof of her constancy, but then concluded that she had
better leave than stay, "not free."  Calling him "patriarch of mankind"
here would seem to endorse his position (and the patriarchy), but what's
being endorsed is Adam's refusal to compel Eve--even to order her,
really--to remain with him against her will, which would seem to be an
uncommon version of patriarchal authority.  What's more, the text
stresses Eve's submission even though she's acting against Adam's advice
to her.   She submits to his direction, which is a conditional order to
go if she believes that the better course.

To unpack:  Adam believes that Eve would do better to stay UNLESS Eve
believes she would do better to go, in which case her staying in
accordance with his order but against her will would be WORSE than if
she simply left.

All of which is my clumsy way of substantiating what Louis suggests.
The patriarchy on display here is of a rare sort, as is the submission
Eve offers.  Then again, Milton's God wants Adam to argue for a fit
companion in Book VIII and praises him for his judgment as well as
"expressing well the spirit within [him] free" (440).  Eve's display of
her own free spirit looks parallel to me to Adam's earlier display; the
freedom Adam grants her demonstrates the justice of his authority,
exercised in the image of God the Father.  Later human tyrants depart
from this model; if husbands rule wives tyrannically, it is in
consequence of their fallen states, not of the prelapsarian patriarchy.

A further interesting complication to the situation generally and Louis'
reading, specifically:  Louis floats the idea that Eve might be
justified in resisting with lethal force if Adam were to so abandon his
own nature as to compel her by force to obey him.  In effect, Satan
argues the same principle later in the book when he suggests that the
threat of death proves God a tyrant, not God, and thus not justly
followed.  (That God is therefore justly resisted follows from Satan's
reasoning.)  Should we take Satan's argument seriously?  Is it simply
his false premise (that the statement, "if you eat of the tree, you will
die" equates to a tyrannical threat of force) that invalidates his
argument, leaving the rest sustained in both places?  Do we instead grow
uneasy about the prospect of Eve's resistance to authority in both
places as a result of the parallel?  Do we experience both responses
together in some measure?

David