[Milton-L] "The liveliest pair"

Gregory Machacek Gregory.Machacek at marist.edu
Wed Oct 21 12:35:43 EDT 2009

A Freudian slip!

Greg Machacek
Professor of English
Marist College

  From:       "Mario A. DiCesare" <dicesare1 at mindspring.com>

  To:         John Milton Discussion List <milton-l at lists.richmond.edu>

  Date:       10/21/2009 09:50 AM

  Subject:    Re: [Milton-L] "The liveliest pair"

  Sent by:    milton-l-bounces at lists.richmond.edu

Dear All,

What do you call a vocal "typo"? The most amusing one I recall during a
discussion among Miltonists years ago was in the passage in Book IV:

Subjection...
by her yielded, by him best received,
Yielded with coy submission, modest pride,
And sweet reluctant amorous dismay. IV.308-11.

And indeed that wonderful rendering of line 311 occurred more than once.
Fortunately, I suppose, the distinguished Miltonist who uttered the line
did not put it into print.

Mario DiCesare
Asheville, NC