[Milton-L] Newberry Library Fellowships in the Humanities, 2010-2011

Yuko Nii wahcenter at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 17 17:29:39 EDT 2009

 From Terrance Lindall:

As long as we are posting opportunities, here is beginning of a search
for my ultimate replacement:

SEARCH – MUSEUM DIRECTOR INTERN

The Williamsburg Art & Historical Center (WAH Center) in Williamsburg
Brooklyn is seeking a Museum Director Intern. Candidate will oversee
all functions of the museum over the next year (or more). This
internship may lead to a permanent paid position, part time or full
time.

Qualifications:

MA or PhD in Museum Studies or Museum Management.
Prefer someone who already has experience at a major institution, if
possible, but that is not a requirement.

Duties:

The Director Intern will administer the historic site, which is a
landmark building on the National Register of Historic Places and a
New York City landmark. The Director Intern will oversee and direct
the initiation and execution of art exhibits and events. He or she
will also direct and coordinate the acquisition, storage, and
exhibition of collections of the Yuko Nii Foundation, including
negotiating and authorizing the purchase, sale, exchange, or loan of
collections. They will oversee and help conduct the institution’s
research projects, if any, and related educational programs (currently
at a minimum). Part of the Director’s duties involve fundraising and
promotion, which may include the writing and reviewing of grant
proposals, journal articles, and publicity materials, as well as
attendance at meetings, conventions, and civic events. The Director
Intern will review current programs and make suggestions for
improvements of existing policies and programs. All of this is under
the guidance of our founder and current artistic director Yuko Nii,
and our president and current executive director Terrance Lindall.

Overview:

We have just now ended 13 years of very successful programming and are
now looking to develop a permanent staff in the next few years.

The museum Director Intern will have to have a good business sense,
although art is very much still at the core of the job description.
They will also have a view to what the issues for the arts are today
in this 21st century, in order to lead the WAH Center’s further
development as a pre-eminent small art center/museum based on size,
its collection, innovative exhibition schedule and mission of
inclusively.

The WAH Center is one of the region's true cultural gems, and the next
director's mission will be to find innovative ways to further open the
center to the New York community and beyond. With the current economic
downturn, there is a pressing need to find solace and perspective, and
the art center/museum will play a vital role in building international
art community and serving as an international center for free exchange
of artistic ideas, thus building international understanding, as
stated in the WAH Center’s mission statement.

Located in a world-class city of the arts, New York, and the dynamic
international emerging art community of Brooklyn, the WAH Center is in
the position to be a catalyst for a broader discourse on the role of
creativity across disciplines. A primary task of the new Director
Intern is to build strong programs and foster an atmosphere of
collaboration. The next director will build on the success and
critical acclaim the WAH Center has achieved in recent years, and
continue to transform the center into a place for lively presentations
and inspiring atmosphere.

Sennd cover letter and resume to:

Yuko Nii
Williamsburg Art & Histrorical Center