[Milton-L] Milton as challenger?

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 18:48:10 EDT 2009

Thanks, Todd. Yes, I was thinking from a pedagogical perspective, of what
students, rather than theologians, generally find disturbing. I probably
should have included Milton's thinking on the Trinity, but (perhaps oddly) I
don't think this leaps out at students like the angelic sex does. For one
thing, students tend to automatically read the "Son" as Jesus. It has to be
pointed out that these names have different implications. I certainly take
Jim's point, though, about the matter of orthodoxy and heresy at a higher
level. A study like Arnold Williams' Common Expositor demonstrates how deep
the roots of Milton's theology and exegesis extend.

Hannibal

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 6:12 PM, James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's a fair response, Todd.  I'm not sure that most of the students
> I've taught would necessarily take issue with most of what's on his
> list except, perhaps, for angelic sex.  The weirdest thing I've ever
> encountered teaching PL was my Catholic students using it like a
> doctrinal manual. "Can was ask a few different questions about the
> text, please?"
>
> Of course our experience of our respective students will vary.
>
> Jim R
>
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 4:23 AM, Butler, Todd Wayne <butlert at wsu.edu>
> wrote:
> > To be fair to Hannibal, I think his focus was on how one's teaching of
> > Paradise Lost might be challenging to the beliefs of *our students*:

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
The Ohio State University
164 West 17th Ave., 421 Denney Hall