[Milton-L] Help with a pedagogical question

Grewell, Cory L. CGrewell at thiel.edu
Thu Oct 1 14:40:19 EDT 2009

I find this aspect of political correctness produces a rather ironic twist in that, while it tries (apparently) to recognize that Christianity is not culturally universal, it implicitly seems to me to do just the opposite by denoting the Christian era as "common."  I found a similar trend curious when I was doing grad work in Boston, which was to refer to Christmas as "the holiday," a phasing wherein the use of the definite article seems to elevate and almost apotheosize the holiday while trying to avoid a reference to its religious origins.

Dr. C. L. Grewell
Assistant Professor of English
Thiel College
75 College Ave