[Milton-L] Help with a pedagogical question

David Ainsworth dainsworth at bama.ua.edu
Thu Oct 1 13:08:39 EDT 2009

I'm finding the responses so far to Margie's original message
fascinating and informative.

I wonder if the problem with the "we read of Christ that" construction
isn't the "Christ" part but the "we read of?"  As Margie points out in
her comment, the writer is effectively citing John as (ahem) gospel in a
way which implies that any reader will accept it as such.

Wouldn't "John says of Christ that" work?  That statement doesn't
require that one accept John's claims (or accept that John speaks God's
words), while still presumably establishing a useful point for discussion.

I'd see rewriting a sentence which started "In Marx, we read of the
proletariat that..." to "Marx writes of the proletariat that," or even
"Marx presents a proletariat that..." as an improvement in the name of
clarity as much as in the name of inclusiveness.

David