[Milton-L] Help with a pedagogical question

David Urban dvu2 at calvin.edu
Thu Oct 1 12:06:47 EDT 2009

Maggie,

First, let me say that I appreciate you asking for advice.

I'm really in complete agreement with Jameela here (lions included).  I think
her points throughout are really valuable.

I also find John Leonard's first few sentences highly instructive.

Here's my own two cents:

Do keep in mind that the Gospel of John refers to Jesus as "Christ" and "the
Christ" from beginning to end.  (See, for example, Jn 1.17 and 20.31.)  So how
is what your student does (calling Jesus "Christ")  in reference to John any
less appropriate than what he does in "The Windows"?

Another concern is whatever personal difficulty you subject your student to in
your comments as you currently present them, Margaret.   I know that you care
deeply about your students, and such comments seem both needless on a
professional/scholarly level and hurtful on a personal one.  Would you, for
consistency's sake, write the same comments to a Muslim student who refers to
"the Prophet" Mohammed with reference to the Koran or some other Islamic text?
I would hope not.  But to call Mohammed "the Prophet" is also "an honorific and
a faith claim" (to quote from your comments), strictly speaking.  So is the
title "Buddha," although I (and the rest of us?) use it all the time without
being a Buddhist.    So where does one draw the line?   I don't think that your
student thinks that he is including his audience in on the claim.   I think
Jameela is correct that we need to distinguish between "doing affective rather
than analytic work."  Since your student appears to be doing the latter, I
think you should emphasize your appreciation for his good work.

With appreciation,

David

>>> Jameela Lares <Jameela.Lares at usm.edu> 10/01/09 11:28 AM >>>
Maggie,

As someone who is irrevocably a Christian and ready to go to the lions
tomorrow, I think I'm in the group you want to hear from.

What I find myself wondering is why a "faith claim" qua faith claim
particularly bothers you.  Literary analysis is full of implicit faith claims
in just about everything--feminism, ecology, modernism, Marxism, whatever--and
in this case making the claim explicit seems to be in the service of a rather
compelling reading.  I hadn't thought about the poem itself being a further
imitation of Christ and am now having a pleasant "Oh yeah, huh!" reaction.  And
you are right that "God" wouldn't work later on.  One speaks of imago Dei but
of imitatio Christi.

I can't see anything objectionable in what else you've reported, though
perhaps I would need more context to understand your particular objection.  And
it isn't as though I myself have no objections to Christian students doing
affective rather than analytic work.  I can predict, for instance, that I will
get 3-5 papers on The Dream of the Rood arguing that it's a Christian poem
(well, duh! but what kind? and why?) or, worse, collapsing all differences
between the original culture and their own particular denominational
assumptions, you know, papers of the "this poem is simply about getting saved"
school.  I am, after all, in the Bible belt.  But I also have students of
sterner intellectual stuff capable of making fine distinctions.  It sounds as
though yours is one of the latter.

So, I'm left wondering--why the squeamishness?  Or did I miss something?

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037