[Milton-L] Help with a pedagogical question

John Leonard jleonard at uwo.ca
Thu Oct 1 11:31:43 EDT 2009

HI Margie,

As a MIltonist (not a "professing Christian"), I think you urge the right caution for the wrong reason.  I think it is political correctness run mad to banish or prohibit or discourage the word "Christ" from students' essays because some readers might not "identify as a Christian."  Use of that term, in my experience, carries no necessary implications as to the writer's beliefs. Christians (and atheists) can and do use the terms "Krishna," "Mohammad" or "Buddha" without signaling a profession of faith or assuming belief on the part of their readers.  One of the difficulties of political correctness is that it often turns out be more incorrect (even in its own terms) than the supposedly offensive terminology it seeks to replace.  Take, for one example, the current practice of writing C.E. and B.C. E. instead of A.D and B.C.  If I were a Muslim or a Jew or a Hindu I would find B.C.E incomparably more offensive than B.C.  Who says that this is the Christian era?  "Before Christ" is relatively neutral, since it allows for the possibility that other eras have arisen or might yet arise.   That nocent word "era", for all its genuflecting, makes an imperialist claim.  But I have no wish to rant--other than to say that I think students should have every right to reveal their faith position, especially if the author in question shared that faith.  There is also an issue of free speech (including, but not limited to, academic freedom).

That said, Miltonists should be careful with the term "Christ", if only because Milton himself never used it in a poem after "On The New Forcers."

John