[Milton-L] Help with a pedagogical question

Jameela Lares Jameela.Lares at usm.edu
Thu Oct 1 11:28:58 EDT 2009

Maggie,

As someone who is irrevocably a Christian and ready to go to the lions tomorrow, I think I'm in the group you want to hear from.

What I find myself wondering is why a "faith claim" qua faith claim particularly bothers you.  Literary analysis is full of implicit faith claims in just about everything--feminism, ecology, modernism, Marxism, whatever--and in this case making the claim explicit seems to be in the service of a rather compelling reading.  I hadn't thought about the poem itself being a further imitation of Christ and am now having a pleasant "Oh yeah, huh!" reaction.  And you are right that "God" wouldn't work later on.  One speaks of imago Dei but of imitatio Christi.

I can't see anything objectionable in what else you've reported, though perhaps I would need more context to understand your particular objection.  And it isn't as though I myself have no objections to Christian students doing affective rather than analytic work.  I can predict, for instance, that I will get 3-5 papers on The Dream of the Rood arguing that it's a Christian poem (well, duh! but what kind? and why?) or, worse, collapsing all differences between the original culture and their own particular denominational assumptions, you know, papers of the "this poem is simply about getting saved" school.  I am, after all, in the Bible belt.  But I also have students of sterner intellectual stuff capable of making fine distinctions.  It sounds as though yours is one of the latter.

So, I'm left wondering--why the squeamishness?  Or did I miss something?

Jameela Lares
Professor of English
The University of Southern Mississippi
118 College Drive, #5037