[Milton-L] The Nietzsche Circle - the future of aesthetics

Yuko Nii wahcenter at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 23 11:24:21 EDT 2009

Dear Miltonists:

I recommend to you this site. There is an ongoing call for papers. I
would like to see some papers there on Milton, although I suggest that
we have some submitted to the Williamsburg Circle too at the WAH
Center. Milton's thinking should be discussed more broadly, not just
in the corridors of Early Enlightenment literature.

http://www.nietzschecircle.com/hyperion_cfp.html
ncinfo at nietzschecircle.com

Different from the Neitzsche Circle, The WAH Center will be hosting
another gathering of major thinkers in the arts, probably in 2010. We
will also have an exhibit of what we see as art that pushes the
envelope of human thought. The Williamsburg Circle is once more rising
from it's slumbers to meet the issues of the 21st century.

Just to remind you all of the Williamsburg Circle from my last email:

At the WAH Center, both Terrance Lindall and Yuko Nii, as well as many
of it's artists and performers, have been engaged in philosophical/
historical discussions related to the arts.  The issues we looked at
early on in our development of the WAH Center were summarized in the
following article called 'The Epistemological Movement," in which we
looked at biological metamorphosis, quantum mechanics, fractal
geometry, free will and determinism, idealism and sundry other topics.

Serious essays, long or short, in response to this article are
solicited and may be published on-line.  Essays may also address the
view from the perspective of 21st century dawning.

The full article:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcbfhr6q_1hp758xgc&hl=en

THE EPISTEMOLOGICAL MOVEMENT
IN LATE 20TH CENTURY ART:
The Williamsburg Circle

Mitosis, late phase of cell division - image  from Wikipedia

Also early on we had gatherings of artists and scholars to discuss
these and other topics, with an art exhibit (see link below) related
to the issues. If anyone would like to formulate a proposal for such
an exhibit in the future, please contact us.
The Williamsburg Symposium
Sunday October 18th, 1998 3 P.M. to 6 P.M.
Reconvenes 7:30 P.M.
On October 18th 1998 there will be a gathering of minds to discuss the
issues of new art at the cusp of the millennium.
Why this gathering? Because behind this process of new art being
generated there is hidden world of thought...the thought of those who
create the art and the thought of some of those who observe it.
Certainly much of the art is being created without any conscious or at
least significant philosophy on the part of the artist, and most of
the museums are doing their jobs of acquiring and preserving what
commercial galleries have been successful in selling whether it has
had or will have any significant impact on the direction of thought
and culture. Although it is true that established museums or
institutions of culture eventually come to recognize what had been
important in their midst, there is an inertia in these institutions
that makes for recognition of important ideas only long after they
have created their revolution in society.
On the other hand, some truly gifted and formidable artists, critics,
curators and connoisseurs are engaging the new and not yet congealed
issues of perception, thought, science and the arts at the latter part
of the 20th century and have stepped into the arena of our emerging
art world and are staking their claim to the territory. These are the
people who will fill the panels.
One of the first issues is whether the art of today is distinctly
different enough to be identified and classified as "art of the late
1990s." What is this stamp of style that identifies it as the art of
"now." How is this art different from the "post modernist?"
The interesting feature of this symposium is that it is couched in the
midst of an art exhibit entitled THE CALCULUS OF TRANSFIGURATION:
MEANING, FORM AND PROCESS IN LATE 20TH CENTURY ART. Last year the
Williamsburg Art & Historical Center launched a massive show called
WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING DAVE?,a "cutting edge" exhibit of
emerging artists who were just beginning to make their way into
important galleries and museums. It was thought by many in the art
world that this is where art stands at this moment in time. In fact it
was felt by the Center's artistic director that the art that had
reached mainstream was not cutting edge and was about ten years or
more behind what was really new and transforming. The CALCULUS OF
TRANSFIGURATION show, curated by Yuko Nii, brings us another step
forward.
In the symposium we will look at where we are in the "now." Our
panelists will be examing where music, art & performance stand TODAY,
if possible, not where it stood ten years ago. This is where the sharp
edge of the absolute present is cutting into the unknown territory of
the next millennium creating the shock wave which will transform mind
and man and appear in the museums and performance halls of tomorrow.
This is the town meeting in the emerging art capital of the world. The
WAH Center, for this moment in time, will be the ancient Athenaeum
where the Socratic dialogue is alive and well. This is an experience
not to be missed. We will keep the door open for you!
The Calculus of Transfiguration | electrokinetic