[Milton-L] Call for participation: Theoretical Issues in the Arts at the end of the 20th C.

Yuko Nii wahcenter at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 21 16:44:10 EDT 2009

 From Terrance
No need to track back. I invite you to be part of the NEW CONFERENCE.
The date has not been set, because we are just sending out the initial
"provocation." Think forward! Think Milton! We would be glad to have
any of you. The aesthetics of Milton in the 21st century...Is he
relevant? Is there a definable Milton axiology regarding art (esp.
poetry) and are art & ethics linked? Is Milton's work the criterion
for something even now? What is that "something?"

Within minutes of our posting the call, Richard Cummings, Ph.D.
(Cantab.) joined our project. You can read an interesting article by
him here:
>  The Dead and the Powerless" in Evergreen Review?
>
> http://www.evergreenreview.com/118/22.html
>
> One cannot separate art from the times in which one lives.  I
> actually studied formal logic at Princeton with Hempel, one of the
> founders of the Vienna Circle.  I should very much like to be part
> of the "Williamsburg Circle" and would be pleased to be on a panel
> at the Symposium.

The WAH Center probably does things for our time no other institution
is doing. It does not mean we will be recognized for it. As I once
reminded you all, "In the valley of the Blind, you will probably be
tossed off a cliff." Still, it is better to test the event horizon
than not...if not to be recognized, then just to go as far as we can
as humans.