[Milton-L] fast by a fountain

Ross Leasure trleasure at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 19:28:28 EDT 2009

One or more of the following articles contains pertinent information,
I'm just not off the top of my head which:

Blythe, Joan.  “Milton’s Mary and Eve and Garlands of Roses in
Seventeenth-Century Art and Handbooks of Devotion.”  CEA Critic 68
(2005-2006): 85-96.

Knott, John. “Milton’s Wild Garden.”  Studies in Philology 102 (2005): 66-82).

Sammons, Todd.  “‘As the Vine Curls Her Tendrils’: Marriage Topos and
Erotic Countertopos in Paradise Lost.”  Milton Quarterly 20 (1986):
117-127.

Symes, M.W.R.  “‘A Paradise within Thee’: The Relationship between the
Garden and Man in Paradise Lost.”  Yearbook of English Studies 3
(1973): 94-107.

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 3:40 PM, <jsavoie at siue.edu> wrote:

> Dear Folks,
>
> Does anyone remember published readings of  the lines--
>
>     Beyond a row of myrtles, on a flat,
>     Fast by a fountain, one small thicket past
>     Of blowing myrrh and balm  (PL 9.627-29)
>
> --that interpret the landscape as emblematic of Eve's body?  I have Rudat's
> essay that appeared in Mosaic in 1982, but I vaguely remember several other
> readings, some fairly prominent I recall (but evidently can't recall clearly
> enough), that read the passage this way.
>
> John Savoie
> Southern Illinois University Edwardsville

T. Ross Leasure
Dept. of English
Salisbury University
Salisbury MD 21801