[Milton-L] fast by a fountain

jsavoie at siue.edu jsavoie at siue.edu
Mon Jul 13 15:40:00 EDT 2009

Dear Folks,

Does anyone remember published readings of  the lines--

     Beyond a row of myrtles, on a flat,
     Fast by a fountain, one small thicket past
     Of blowing myrrh and balm  (PL 9.627-29)

--that interpret the landscape as emblematic of Eve's body?  I have Rudat's
essay that appeared in Mosaic in 1982, but I vaguely remember several other
readings, some fairly prominent I recall (but evidently can't recall clearly
enough), that read the passage this way.

John Savoie
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville