[Milton-L] Oscar Brown, Jr: Fruit and Serpents

Judith Herz jherz at alcor.concordia.ca
Sat Jan 31 16:17:24 EST 2009

          FORBIDDEN FRUIT
          Oscar Brown, Jr.

            Eve and Adam had a garden. Everything was jake,
            Till one day a voice said, "Pardon, miss, my name is Snake.
            You see that apple over yonder; if you'll take a bite,
            You and Adam both are bound to have some fun tonight.
            Go on and eat forbidden fruit.
            It's quite a treat, forbidden fruit.
            It's mighty sweet, forbidden fruit.
            Go ahead and taste it. You don't wanna waste it."

            The Lord had said in the beginning, "Everything here's free,
            Except that apple. It leads to sinning. Leave that apple be."
            But Eve got tempted so she tried it, and as chicks can do,
            She teased her man till he decided he'd just try some too.
            "Go on and eat forbidden fruit.
            It's quite a treat, forbidden fruit.
            It's mighty sweet, forbidden fruit.
            Go ahead and bite it. Bet you'll be delighted."

            I hate to tell you all what followed: the Lord was most upset.
            Saw them making love and hollered, "What have you two et?"
            And when they made a full confession, the Lord said, "Well, I see.
            I'll just have to teach you a lesson about not minding me.
            Go on and eat forbidden fruit.
            It's quite a treat, forbidden fruit.
            It's mighty sweet, forbidden fruit.
            You all went and did it. Now you're gonna get it."

            The Lord made Eve be Adam's madam, have his kids and all,
            Laid some labor laws on Adam, and he made the snake to crawl.
            And ever since the days of Eden, this world's been sinful, my!
            Nowadays folks are even eating apples in their pie.
            Go on and eat forbidden fruit.
            It's quite a treat, forbidden fruit.
            It's mighty sweet, forbidden fruit.
            Go ahead and taste it. You don't wanna waste it.
            Go ahead and bite it. Bet you'll be delighted.
            You all went and did it, now you're gonna get it:
            Forbidden fruit.

          THE SNAKE
          Oscar Brown, Jr.

          On the way to work one morning, down the path alongside the lake,
          A tenderhearted woman found a poor half-frozen snake.
          His pretty colored skin had been all frosted with the dew.
          "Poor thing" she cried. "I'll take you in and I'll take care of you."

          "Take me in, tender woman.
          Take me in, for heaven's sake.
          Take me in, tender woman,"
          Sighed the snake.

          She wrapped him up all cozy in a comforter of silk,
          And laid him by the fireside with some honey and some milk.
          She hurried home from work that night, and as soon as she arrived,
          She found that pretty snake she'd taken in had been revived.

          "Take me in, tender woman.
          Take me in, for heaven's sake.
          Take me in, tender woman,"
          Sighed the snake.

          She clutched him to her bosom. "You're so beautiful," she cried,
          "But if I hadn't brought you in, by now you might have died."
          Well, she stroked his pretty skin again and kissed him really tight.
          Instead of saying thanks, the snake gave her a vicious bite.

          "Take me in, tender woman.
          Take me in, for heaven's sake.
          Take me in, tender woman,"
          Sighed the snake.

          "I saved you!" cried the woman, "and you've bitten me, but why?
          You know your bite is poisonous and now I'm gonna die."
          "Ha! Shut up, silly woman," said that reptile with a grin.
          "You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."

          "Take me in, tender woman.
          Take me in, for heaven's sake.
          Take me in, tender woman,"
          Sighed the snake.