[Milton-L] De Doctrina Christiana

jonnyangel junkopardner at comcast.net
Wed Jan 14 16:38:10 EST 2009

On 1/14/09 3:06 AM, "Horace Jeffery Hodges" <jefferyhodges at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Divine condescension, I meant. My reading focuses upon God's words, "If I
> foreknew...." Interesting use of "If," however.
>
> Jeffery Hodges

I find this interesting only in the sense that this seems more a part of the
"argument" (Milton covering all the bases, so to speak, through the
character of God) than pure "characterization".

The way I read it is "even if I did know that you would fail, that knowledge
would have no relevance with regard to your failures and decisions"
("Sufficient to have stood though free to fall etc.)

Sorry for the quick post, but I'm in a hurry.

--Jonny