[Milton-L] De Doctrina Christiana

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 16:37:40 EST 2009

John Rumrich wrote:

"Eve is the character to whom the phrase "peculiar graces" is applied by the narrator.  Not the same as "peculiar grace" as used by God, I admit, but the echo strikes me as unmistakable and significant. Milton observes in his theological treatise that some are better disposed for salvation than others and that the Greek word usually translated 'ordained' (tetagmenoi) would be better rendered 'predisposed.'"

Consistent with this observation, perhaps, would be the fact that Eve is the first in the postlapsarian state to accept responsibility for her sin and turn to Adam for reconciliation (cf. PL 10.914-936).

Jeffery Hodges