[Milton-L] De Doctrina Christiana

Campbell, W. Gardner Gardner_Campbell at baylor.edu
Tue Jan 13 13:57:37 EST 2009

Steve,

You're right about pre- and postlapsarian free will in the poem, of course, but it's always seemed to me (and I'm currently trying to explore more fully) the peculiar *conditions* in which prelapsarian free will exists, and must exist for the word "free" to have any ethical force (i.e., any meaning). It's the peculiarity of God's garden as a laboratory of choice, or choosing, and of Milton's embrace of those conditions as something other than a booby-trap, that makes Milton's argument so bold, at least in my view.

Weighty matters indeed!

Gardner