[Milton-L] De Doctrina Christiana

Schwartz, Louis lschwart at richmond.edu
Tue Jan 13 11:46:36 EST 2009

I haven’t been following this discussion as closely as I’d like-too much else to do!  But the following occurred to me while reading through Kim’s post (the question runs parallel to Jim’s response, below):

Kin wrote:  “I cannot think of any theologian who argued that God elects some unconditionally and then requires of the rest persistent trial, with those who succeed being admitted to heaven.  Yet the poem seems very clear-“some” and “the rest.” This seems to be me to more that just having Calvinist leanings; it seems perversely inconsistent.”

My question is this:  are we sure that there’s anything in the speech that says that the “peculiar grace” given to the “elect” is a guarantor of their ultimate salvation?  Are we sure that conditions don’t apply?  Can’t grace-offered to these creatures more fully or clearly than to the others-be freely refused by them, and wouldn’t that put those who refused among those who are later in the passage “excluded?”  Indeed it would seem that they would be even more culpable and perhaps would find themselves unforgivable more immediately and irreversibly.  Not unlike the rebel Angels, in other words, who seem to have fallen once and for all, and undeceived, fully knowing what they were doing (at least according to what God says in Book III).

L.

Louis Schwartz
Associate Professor of English
University of Richmond