[Milton-L] De Doctrina Christiana

Tony Demarest tonydemarest at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 12 12:15:17 EST 2009

That is why I did not capitalize it-Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 09:11:01 -0800To: milton-l at lists.richmond.eduFrom: dwd at unb.caSubject: RE: [Milton-L] De Doctrina Christiana

"Catholic" means "universal" not
"Roman Catholic" when recited in the creed ("I believe
in  . . .the Holy catholic Church") as of course it regularly
was in the early seventeenth-century Church of England. I find it
fascinating that Professor Diarmaid MacCulloch, noted church historian of
the Faculty of Theology at Oxford, is slated to give a talk at the
forthcoming Geneva conference on "Calvin et son Influence" in
which he will claim that Calvin sought to be the "firth Latin Doctor
of the Church," with the purpose to "repristinate Catholicism
or the Western Latin tradition" (personal communication).
Daniel W. Doerksen