[Milton-L] De Doctrina Christiana

Daniel W. Doerksen dwd at unb.ca
Mon Jan 12 12:11:01 EST 2009

"Catholic" means "universal" not "Roman Catholic" when recited in the creed
("I believe in  . . .the Holy catholic Church") as of course it regularly
was in the early seventeenth-century Church of England. I find it
fascinating that Professor Diarmaid MacCulloch, noted church historian of
the Faculty of Theology at Oxford, is slated to give a talk at the
forthcoming Geneva conference on "Calvin et son Influence" in which he will
claim that Calvin sought to be the "firth Latin Doctor of the Church," with
the purpose to "repristinate Catholicism or the Western Latin tradition"
(personal communication).

Daniel W. Doerksen

At 08:39 AM 1/12/2009, you wrote:
>Begging pardon of Milton, one may speak of PL and Lear as "catholic."
>Much ado, indeed.
>
>Tony

Daniel W. Doerksen