[Milton-L] De Doctrina Christiana

jonnyangel junkopardner at comcast.net
Sat Jan 10 08:18:15 EST 2009

On 1/9/09 11:12 PM, "Michael Bryson" <michael.bryson at csun.edu> wrote:

> jonnyangel (whoever you actually are...)
>
> You appear not to have engaged with any..and I do mean any...of my actual
> points. And as you refer to yourself as a scholar, I would think that such
> engagement would be important to you.
>
> You and I are not talking about the same thing. No matter. I look forward to
> reading your work.
>
> All best,
>
> Michael Bryson

Lay your points out more precisely then. Is PL a Christian poem or not?
Don't muddy it it up with Greek Mythology, etc. Is it a Christian poem first
and foremost? And what, precisely, are we talking about if not the same
thing? We're talking about Milton, his Christianity and Paradise Lost.

As for "my work", there is none (nor ever will be in the academic genre - is
academia a genre?) I write, but I don't write thesis' (until I have too).

And one last time: my "Christian" name is Jonathan Bryan Colburn, but my
friends have always called me Jonny. The "Angel" came in as pure irony from
my Mother long ago and later my (ex) wife (the song is permanently stuck in
my head also). But what is in a name, as Bill asked.

I wanted to tell you Michael, that you have a good, strong Christian name
and that I enjoyed reading your piece in the Milton Quarterly "A Poem to the
Unknown God: Samson Agonistes and Negative Theology".

No hard feelings - and I appreciate a little shit stirring. I just would
encourage you to see past your own intellect and look at something
(anything) larger than yourself, or the here and now.

Life is long, but it isn't that long.

Peace Shalom,

Jonny