[Milton-L] De Doctrina Christiana

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 16:39:10 EST 2009

Yes, I see a break between Luther's thought and prior Christian thought,
which is why I asked about the difference prior to the Reformation.  If we
follow a line from Origen to Anselm to Augustine through Aquinas, Dante, and
Erasmus to be educated and Christian is to be classically trained, and
Christian theology was largely cast following Greek conceptual models, for
the majority of Christian thinkers.  Milton's training in Greek and Latin is
nothing unusual (at least not the Latin).  Virgil, not any Christian
thinker, guided Dante through Hell.  This trajectory continues through
Hegel, Kierkegaard, and even to Heidegger, who believed separating Greek
throught from Christian thought and conceiving of it in pre-Christian terms
was a diffcult but needed project, rather than the other way around.

Jim R