[Milton-L] De Doctrina Christiana

jsavoie at siue.edu jsavoie at siue.edu
Thu Jan 8 22:21:39 EST 2009

According to the historicism that informs so much contemporary Milton criticism
today, Peter is right. (Consider the oxymoron in that sentence.)  But in terms
of reception history, PL has become an increasingly ecumenical work embraced for
its theology as much as its poetry (and what a hard task to divide those two,
difficult as sorting the seeds) by Christians of all sorts, not so much a "mere
Christianity" as a vivid and provocative one, powerfully felt if not always
doctrinally parsed.

John Savoie
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville