[Milton-L] De Doctrina Christiana

Larry Isitt isitt at cofo.edu
Mon Jan 5 10:07:26 EST 2009

Johnny,
The brand of heresy regarding the Son, so far as these brands are represented in the negative anathemaas against anti-Trinitarianism sometimes attached to the positive articles defining the Trinity in Reformation confessions of faith the likes of the 1530 Augsburg and the Anglican 39 Articles and the Westminster 1647, all of which endorse in various wording the sense of Nicea 325 and Constantinople 381, is not as important as realizing that once one leaves off the Nicene definition and adopts something else to define the Son, be it ancient gnosticism or 17th century Socinianism and all others inbetween, one as it were falls off a high plateau into a valley the high end of which is Arianism (as it comes closest to endorsing the Son as deity) and the gradient falling off lower and lower as the variant definitions lower the Son more and more to the end of being just and only a man.

PL best fits the Arian definition of the Son and reflects closely that same Arian picture to be found in De Doctrina wherein Milton states that he has nothing against the Son being called God, just not the supreme God (Yale 6.245). A Socinian would never admit this as for Socinus the Son is a man only.

The "shifting theology" to which you refer, and the analogy to a flowing stream, are not valid so far as this epic is dealt with historically and not subjectively from the viewpoint of a reader. Milton meant something definite in 1667 and that is what we have. The shifting he went through certainly but that was done much earlier when he left off Nicene orthodoxy (found in his "trinal unity" of the Nativity Ode, for example) to pursue his rationalistic thought. He lost orthodoxy long before he composed PL and the De Doctrina.

Larry