[Milton-L] Haklyut, Plutarch, Sidney and the Osiris myth

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 19:35:24 EST 2009

This might be an interesting text for the study of the question of Milton
and Gnosticism, esp, since it makes explicit reference to Hermes
Trismegistus:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~milton/reading_room/sylvarum/idea/text.shtml

I make the argument in my dissertation that Blake appropriated Gnostic myths
to present his character Urizen as a gnostic deity, so that, by extension,
the God of the British church/state complex is a Gnostic sub-deity who has
imprisoned the true God in matter (Bacon, Newton, and Locke's empiricism)
and is ruling the visible world by a coup.

Jim R

James Rovira
Tiffin University
龍火士心