[Milton-L] Haklyut, Plutarch, Sidney and the Osiris myth

Michael Bryson michael.bryson at csun.edu
Sun Jan 4 15:19:11 EST 2009

I think the question of a Gnostic element to (and/or
influence on) Milton's thinking is a very
interesting one. I am currently working on a project
which will take up that question, as part of a
larger work on Milton and negative theology,
neoplatonic thought, and the basic idea of the God
behind (or beyond) "God."

Most of what I am encountering in Milton criticism
simply dismisses the idea, however, regarding
Gnosticism as somehow antithetical to Milton's
thought (I've done the same--I made a comment, which
I now regret, along similar lines near the beginning
of The Tyranny of Heaven).  I think one of the key
questions is, if there is an influence, or even a
compatibility of concerns at work between Gnostic
thought and Milton's work, what particular branch of
"Gnosticism" might be the most likely candidate, and
through what sources (the great refuters like
Ireneaeus, Tertullian, Hyppolitus, etc., or
elsewhere?) might Milton be encountering these
ideas? And if the ideas are present and at work in
his writing, to what use is he putting them?

I also think the scenes with the old "anarch" Chaos
might be fruitfully explained either through, or
alongside of, explorations of Gnostic ideas.
Zoarastrian ideas (and their possible influence on
post-exilic Hebraic thought) come to mind as well.

Questions only at this point...

Michael Bryson