[Milton-L] De Doctrina Christiana

Hannibal Hamlin hamlin.hannibal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 11:18:54 EST 2009

A further question that is more hermeneutic than bibliographic -- to what
extent can Paradise Lost (say) be legitimately interpreted in light of De
Doctrina?  This seems to have become common practice, for the obvious reason
that the theological positions stated in De Doctrina are considerably easier
to determine than those in PL.  But De Doctrina isn't really a handbook to
the theology of PL, is it?  If the same man wrote both works, that's
certainly interesting, but can we assume that both works express the same
ideas, or that their author was of the same mind when he wrote both works?
We might even ask about the relationship about theological ideas to the
(written) linguistic expression of them: i.e., is it possible that language
can generate ideas as much as the reverse, and even that different kinds of
writing (dramatic fictional English verse, say, as opposed to expository
Latin prose) might tend to generate different ideas?

Hannibal

On 1/2/09, Thomas Corns <els009 at bangor.ac.uk> wrote:

> May I suggest reading at least the last chapter of Gordon Campbell, Thomas
> N. Corns, John K. Hale, and Fiona Tweedie, JOHN MILTON AND THE MANUSCRIPT
> OF
> DE DOCTRINA CHRISTIANA (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006)?
>
> If time is more pressing, then go with Michael Bauman: yes.
>
> DE DOCTRINA CHRISTIANA is being edited for the new Oxford Complete Works of
> John Milton; John Hale is the volume editor for that volume.
>
> Best
> Tom Corns
>

> --
> Gall y neges e-bost hon, ac unrhyw atodiadau a anfonwyd gyda hi,
> gynnwys deunydd cyfrinachol ac wedi eu bwriadu i'w defnyddio'n unig
> gan y sawl y cawsant eu cyfeirio ato (atynt). Os ydych wedi derbyn y
> neges e-bost hon trwy gamgymeriad, rhowch wybod i'r anfonwr ar
> unwaith a dilëwch y neges. Os na fwriadwyd anfon y neges atoch chi,
> rhaid i chi beidio â defnyddio, cadw neu ddatgelu unrhyw wybodaeth a
> gynhwysir ynddi. Mae unrhyw farn neu safbwynt yn eiddo i'r sawl a'i
> hanfonodd yn unig  ac nid yw o anghenraid yn cynrychioli barn
> Prifysgol Bangor. Nid yw Prifysgol Bangor yn gwarantu
> bod y neges e-bost hon neu unrhyw atodiadau yn rhydd rhag firysau neu
> 100% yn ddiogel. Oni bai fod hyn wedi ei ddatgan yn uniongyrchol yn
> nhestun yr e-bost, nid bwriad y neges e-bost hon yw ffurfio contract
> rhwymol - mae rhestr o lofnodwyr awdurdodedig ar gael o Swyddfa
> Cyllid Prifysgol Bangor.  www.bangor.ac.uk
>
> This email and any attachments may contain confidential material and
> is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).  If you have
> received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
> and delete this email.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you
> must not use, retain or disclose any information contained in this
> email.  Any views or opinions are solely those of the sender and do
> not necessarily represent those of the Bangor University.
> Bangor University does not guarantee that this email or
> any attachments are free from viruses or 100% secure.  Unless
> expressly stated in the body of the text of the email, this email is
> not intended to form a binding contract - a list of authorised
> signatories is available from the Bangor University Finance
> Office.  www.bangor.ac.uk

Hannibal Hamlin
Associate Professor of English
The Ohio State University