[Milton-L] A little levity

James Rovira jamesrovira at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 18:14:20 EST 2009

Ha, thank you.  There's something Eliot about it, almost.  You're
right about reading it aloud.  These lines...

How do you do, call on Andrew Marvell and George Herbert
        to rescue you, but you draw the short straw,
and there's Julie Andrews in The Sound if Music with her igloo
        smile and Christmas sweater. You are the Sioux
in this cavalry charge, and you need some firewater pronto,
        gin and lighter fluid or a gun, but that's so American,
and who would you shoot but yourself, so you try to spin some voodoo
        around this vampire soirée. Where are the chicken bones
and bat fangs when you need them, Miss Nancy Drew?

Made me want to pronounce "pronto" "prontoo"...not to mention the
association of Andrews in The Sound of Music with an "igloo" -- never
mind that it's really an "igloo smile," I still picture her on the
north pole.

Jim R