[Milton-L] who was Sabrina?

Chernaik, Warren warren.chernaik at kcl.ac.uk
Wed Feb 11 12:35:09 EST 2009

Dear Leslie,
I don't think anyone knows who played Sabrina and Comus, though I agree with Cedric Brown that it must have been actors imported for the occasion. Lawes played the Attendant Spirit, and was the music tutor for 15 year old Alice Egerton, who had a large part, involving singing. Campbell and Corns in their new biography point out that there were other entertainments for the Earl of Bridgewater, and that the three Egerton children might have had to do some rehearsing with Lawes while traveling to various venues. As Brown says, it was rare for courtiers to have speaking or singing parts in masques, but danced and showed off their expensive costumes. If there is anyone with information about the original actors at Ludlow, I'd be interested in hearing.
Best wishes,
Warren Chernaik