[Milton-L] Areopagitica in the NYPL

Nancy Charlton pastorale55 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 00:33:05 EST 2009

Could Milton have had in mind John 3:5: "...Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God"?  The whole thing as a metaphor of "life" would be implicit, and perhaps "book" would be a metaphor for word/Word.

Further, is it possible that the Genesis verse in implicit in the John passage, and this somehow brings the whole thing round full circle?

Nancy Charlton

http://groups.google.com/group/paradiselostdaily

. . . Ring out, ye crystal spheres