[Milton-L] Areopagitica in the NYPL

Horace Jeffery Hodges jefferyhodges at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 9 16:07:49 EST 2009

Now that I'm focused on this quote from Areopagitica, it strikes me as rather odd:

"A good book is the precious lifeblood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life."
Can blood be embalmed? It's usually removed in the embalming process, isn't it? What would 'embalmed blood' be? Chemically preserved?

At any rate, an embalming process wouldn't provide the blood "a life beyond life," would it? Does this metaphor make any sense?

Jeffery Hodges