[Milton-L] An Idyll

Nancy Charlton pastorale55 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 20:16:58 EST 2009

No, dear boy, the cost of an amanuensis would have to be borne as an expense of doing business and not part of a rent.

It is a great place, one where the most portentous issue could be something likehow far out will the tide go today, or is the water quiet enough for skipping rocks, or can I walk to the point before the sun goes down? Perhaps if I wake up early enough I can see an eagle scavenging on the beach. Or, there are a lot of hungry gulls today breaking open scallops on the beach; will they drop one on my head? Shall I go see the horses next door or play with the dogs? Or get in a boat and poke around the reefs and see if there might be a twenty-armed starfish?  Or get on a bike and ride over to Olga for lunch and poking through the galleries (Olga being a town)? Or sit upon a driftwood log and read Milton till love and fame to nothingness do shrink? Fall asleep from exercise and fresh air, having put such things as glasses tidily away, and wake up ready for more. It's a place to get rid of mental and physical toxins and go back to polis and agora with a less
 selfish and more balanced sense of proportion.

You might even do what my brother did once: addressing the large bush by the door and holding out his hand, he said cheerily, "Hi, Drangea!"

Nancy Charlton

http://groups.google.com/group/paradiselostdaily

. . . Ring out, ye crystal spheres